Monday, December 31, 2007

£19,764.44 .................

net profit in 2007 , well short of my £30,000 target , the first time i have missed my £30k target since i left the city rat race in june 2002 . This has been the first year of my blog but i feel the blog itself has been a help rather than a hinderance and that there is no connection between the poor year and the blog as i feel my discipline has improved somewhat and thats down to the online diary .



My gross profit is £23,759.44 take away my subscription fees of £3995 leaves £19,764.44 .



A brief analysis of the services i used in 2007 :


ISIRIS


The highlight of the year for me happened in november with the introduction of the more user friendly and selective service , no more days with 5 insiders , i had ceased backing the insiders as i struggled to get on and i have been brought up with being selective with my betting and having 5 bets in a day from one service was of no interest to me . I was and still am a great supporter of the new system and i look forward to a successful 2008 with isiris , having just 4/5 bets a week at most .
The introduction of the new system was soon followed by membership to isiris closing and no more advesrtising in the racing post , in effect a private members advisory service has been introduced .
I contacted kevin early in december and told him that i was intending to continue my blog in 2008 , i was aware of the closure of membership and ceasing the adverts and had an idea of what he was trying to create with the revamped isiris , i asked whether he had any objections to me mentioning isiris and the bets on a daily basis , he responded that he would prefer if i dropped the daily bets and p/l , i have no problem with this and instead in 2008 all i will mention is a weekly p/l from isiris .

MARK HOLDER

2007 not a vintage year for mh followers , frustration followed frustration , the year was brought to an apt close by cemgraft today finishing 4th but with a 33/1 shot bolting and being withdrawn the ew terms were reduced to the first three . i experienced my longest ever losing run with mark since i joined in 1998 BUT for all this we still ended comfortably in profit for the year so i still remain positive and have every confidence in mark going forward especially with no flat bets in 2008 .

OPTIMUM RACING

A definite positive in 2007 was optimum racing , i admit i was not saying this earlier on in the year as the service struggled , and yes i did cut my stakes but i just felt i had to do some firefighting so to speak , part of the early struggle i feel was andrew starting up his own service as previously he was with mark holder , and he had to combine the pressure of advising and running a business . But wow did he turn around the p/l in the second half of the year , andrew concentrates on chases and also runs syndicates under the optimum banner with city affair being the flagbearer so far improving and wining 3 races on the trot in august and has been raised 25lb since coming under the care of tim vaughan , a trainer to note in 2008 .
I am looking forward to the future with optimum in 2008 .

CONCLUSION

This time last year if i was told that my profit would be a little more than £19,000 in 2007 i would have been most disappointed but after finding myself over £7500 in deficit during february im not too downhearted .
I have not enjoyed the last year as much as previous years , with the bottom line not progressing to levels i had previously experienced this is not surprising but the main reason has been the difficulty in getting on , no longer can i place the bets via the internet from home i now trawl the shops in london , overall i have not experienced too many problems but i now work in some pretty shappy parts of north london and my line of work means i have to carry some lumpy sums of cash on me and i have had a few scary moments and i have to remain vigilent at all times .
I will be continuing with all 3 services in 2008 and all that is left is to wish all a most happy and prosperous new year .

DIRK DIGGLER .

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good read, good effort, dont use tipsters get a range of info from various sources that keep me sweet. Good luck with the end game next year, 30k tax free is a good goal.

Orsen Kaht said...

Dirk, great effort. Have enjoyed reading the blog and your approach shows the way for some of us less disciplined punters.

The highlights for me were the way you dealt with the first two months of the year, when things were going far from well. Clearly you never doubted that it was a long game, and that things would turn around. Equally, when reverses happened, your approach was always philosophical - move on! (Perhaps this is a necessary trait for a Spurs supporter?).

I'm glad to see you're continuing in 2008. Pity that Kevin won't allow you to shine a little more light on the Isiris service, which I am sure intrigues many of us.

Anyway, all the best for 2008 - I look forward to continuing to read (and hopefully learn!).

Regards, Orsen

Muso said...

Hi,
Thanks for the excellent read that you've provided us with this year. I wish you all the best for 2008 and hopefully you'll continue with the blog as i think it gives a great insight into the world of the ups and downs regarding gambling from a professional.

Godfrey Hoopington-Charles said...

Hi Dirk

I have made my own blog and wondered if you would like to exchange links from my blog to yours and vice versa. On my blog I review one race each day (as a rule) and give my thoughts on that race.

http://thebrigadiersblog.blogspot.com/

If you would like to exchange links to our blogs then leave me a comment on mine and we can sort it out.

Happy New Year and good luck in 2008

DIRKDIGGLER said...

hi there all , thx for your support and time to contact me , i have been overwhelmed by the following that my blog has attracted and im pleased that most have found it enjoyable .
the ad man - yes £30k tax free equates to £50k in the real world that was my reasoning behind choosing the figure .
orsen kaht - firstly all the best for 2008 i hope you have a profitable and happy new year .
in all fairness to kevin he didnt put any pressure on me , i asked him , he is trying with the "new isiris" to create a private exclusive service and im happy to add to the mystique , which imho is the most exciting service around , i realise at times he may not be everyones cup of tea and can be a frustrating chap to listen to but he knows his onions and is profitable .

all the best to all that have read and commented during 2007 ,
happy punting in 2008
regards DD.