Thursday, August 16, 2007

raceform notebook and the timeform blackbook ......

were my preferred form analysis in my younger days pre isiris/mh , my dad suggested i should find a niche and concentrate on a certain field so i studied two yearolds and my only bets were in two year races , i made some money not huge but i enjoyed it and i regarded it as a hobby more than a money making tool , but then i found other hobbies ............. women and drink !!! and the form study went to the back of the queue as i have a tendency for a "all or nothing" mentality so the formbooks went into the loft ! , thesedays my own personal bets are reserved for horses that i note inrunning mainly green 2 yearold debutants , i may only have half a dozen bets per year but the success rate is pretty high , the reason i mention this is that today i was alerted to one such horse that i had noted in my easyodds horsealert stable , a briliant innovation by the way and that horse was mccartney in the 6.20 hamilton .


wednesday


PERSONAL TRADING


a quiet day with my first interest in the 4.00 salisbury but it got off to a decent start , isiris had put up promising lead in this race and i had £150 @ 7/2 , the price held steady , actually on the exchanges i noticed it trading at 4.9 15 mins or so before the off , but support emerged and it was sent off a strong 5/2 second fav i layed £150 @ 4.0 and another winner for the bang in form isiris team and a £75 profit for myself . my selection mccartney was running in the 6.20 hamilton and it had been relatively weak all day the bookies put it in as a 8/11-4/5 shot but the smaller internet firms followed the drift on the exchanges to quote evens , i dont have enough confidence in myself and doubts started to creep in , i need not have worried as mccartney was the easiest winner of the day scooting up by 7lengths and i had invested £200 @ 2.32 on the returned 6/4 fav , a nice day with a profit of £327.12 .

2 comments:

ExSettler said...

In my opinion, sorting out one's own winners from the form book, Timeform or otherwise, is what gives the greatest satisfaction. Back in the 1960s I was at the races (Brighton) and Phil Bull's comments on the last race caused me to go with one "Sparrow Pie" ridden by Greville Starkey. It stormed past me and sluiced home at 20-1. I had a £5 on it, a large bet for me then. Nowadays I rarely bet as "high" as a fiver! But I still like to read the form as I see it ... which is not always as the experts read it!

DIRKDIGGLER said...

ex settler - yes i totally agree with your initial comments , but when i realised i didnt have the time or inclination for form study on the scale i was used to , i turned to marten julian , who i still regard as one of the best in the business and i without fail still take his dark horses annual and other publications , all the best regards DD.